Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Waiting for Results

So I stayed up way too late waiting to find out who was going to win. After Ohio went to Obama I pretty much assumed he would win. I still woke up at 6 to confirm. Needless to say, I've been out of whack all day.

I like to refer to myself as a Bush 2000 republican, meaning what he said then made a lot of sense. That maybe, what Reagan started was going to go a little further and Republicans were going back to their roots. Less nation building, less militant internationalism, smaller government and less taxes. Ultimately, he did the opposite of all those things and McCain in many ways was his heir, who had argued for more internationalism and a stronger government since 2000.

I voted for Ron Paul in the primary because I believe there needs to be a movement within the Republican party to get back to the notion of small government. While I knew he had no chance of winning, I think the boulder needed to begin rolling. This general election I gave my vote of protest to Bob Barr, which won't be counted until Nov. 10th anyway.

I think Obama winning is a good thing. Because the Republicans have lost their way. I hope they'll step back and look at where their post 9/11 message took them. I hope they'll re-evaluate their message.
And I hope they'll come back around to standing for something I believe in.

No comments: