Friday, January 25, 2008

Speed Reading

01.25.2008 Speed Reading


Sometime I get in these reading funks where I can't stop. I've been working in Akron, about 60-70 miles from home on occasion and I ride in with my Uncle Carl. I brought a book to knock the bore out of the ride and it sparked a frenzy. I suppose it makes sense, I've been out of my 'read an hour a day' loop since December. The book I was reading, A Roman Revolution, was just so dense that I barely made any headway at all. Anyway, my reading frenzy began with a less academic book: Long Way Down. Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman motorcycle from Scotland to South Africa, a real life adventure that just dances in my mind. Now, I can't read while I work but its like my head is still in the book. The world has such a surreal sensation to it and everything happens without words.

Not to mention the subject matter storms through my head. I wonder if I could embark on such a journey. I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle. I don't even know the first things about mechanics and engines and what not. Well if my Dad can learn all about Alpacas in his 50th year, I can learn something about motorcycles in my 23rd.

I'd have to start small, maybe tour Ohio in two days. Civil War battlegrounds in three days. Cross country riding in mysterious Canada? One day, maybe, I could do Ohio to Cape Horn in South America. My head has been a hurricane of lust for adventure today. I suppose reading helps to fuel that. Keep my ambition up, you know?

Anyway, I've been reading comics during the night. I try to avoid this, but I usually end up reading more than one thing at a time. I don't worry about confusing things though. The X-Men are a little difficult to reconcile with motorcycling in the desert.

The ultimate conclusion is: I need to get off the bed and away from the books to go out and find something worthwhile. That is what this picture is. What I'm doing and why I need to not be doing it.

No comments: