Friday, March 7, 2008

The Immortal Game

03.07.2008 The Immortal Game


So the original inspiration for this photo was the chess set from the movie Blade Runner. But when I went out to find a picture of the set, I discovered that the chess scene was derived from the 1851 Chess friendly between Adolf Anderssen and Lionel Kieseritzky. It's regarded as one of the greatest chess games in all of history and in the movie Blade Runner it stands for the struggle of humanity against mortality. And here I am thinking it would simply make a cool photo.

The set is from Spain, something I take some pride in. It's hand carved from Olive wood and I believe the board is as well. I'm not sure because the man spoke to me in Spanish and my understanding of the language was limited. I'm pretty sure he didn't say "Made in China" though.

No comments: