Monday, April 28, 2008

Teaching

04.28.2008 Teaching


Basically, I was teaching my brother how to paint. As if I knew too much about it myself. You see, I was picked as his confirmation sponsor, which for those of you not familiar, confirmation is when the young Christian receives the Holy Spirit. It’s a big deal for we Catholics, a festival on par with baptism and communion. Anyway he has to do this confirmation project. He wanted to nail two pieces of wood together and I said hell no. So given that we have the materials, paint… a framed piece of wood panel conveniently lying around. So here I am teaching him the basic color wheel, we had previously done a grey scale painting as prior. He’s taking to it well enough. He doesn’t get it entirely, but he seems interested. Ed mentioned in passing, “Oh this is better than art class, we never learned any of this.”

So he’s somewhat interested. Which is a plus. We decided on making an icon… of Michelangelo’s Pieta.

Yeah, it’s post modern like that. Deal with it.

No comments: